The share of renewable energy in the total global electricity production is steadily increasing. But it’s easy to get lost in figures and stats. So let’s have a look at a few key figures and developments for the deployment of renewable energy.
What is the current status for Renewable Energy?
- Renewable energy share in the total global electricity production, end 2016: 24,5%, with hydro representing about 70% (REN21)
- Estimated renewable energy share of final total energy consumption, 2015: 19,3% (REN21)
What are the trends?
- Renewables accounted for almost two-thirds of net new power capacity around the world in 2016 (IEA)
- New solar PV capacity around the world grew by 50%
- Cost for electricity from solar PV and wind is rapidly falling